Saturday 8 April 2017

At Least Kibo had a blast...Scafell Pike struggle

So being out in the mountains, especially with people (or dog) you love, is always better than not. If the weather is kind, conditions are good and you have the time it's hard not to want to get out. 

I went out with the mindset of having a lovely steady run in a new area with my boys. And if it weren't for my boys I may well have bailed. 
As we started our climb up the biggest mountain in England I was a little sluggish but pretty sure I'd get a bit more spring in my step once we got on some good trails. After what seemed like an age of hopping from rock to rock, desperately trying not to stub my toes, go over on my ankles or just fall on my arse, I asked Joe if it was going to be like this the whole way. Pretty much!!! 
On terrain that feels like you're running on a river bed is not really all that fun to me. I kept getting shooting pains up my ankles, couldn't get into any sort of rhythm, and because I am having to focus so much on the ground I can't really appreciate the beauty around me. Don't get me wrong, I have grown to love a bit of technical ground. It helps take the focus off how tired I am and I don't feel like I need to be going fast. Too much though and I feel drained and fed up because i can't do what it is that I really like to do...run. 

We made it to the end of the corridor route and started up to the summit and I think frustration gave me a burst of energy and managed to run the 300 odd meters up to the top and felt pretty good. Even if it was more of a hopping along a pile of rocks opposed to a real running motion. It did perk me up a bit and made the decision to go over to Scafell too. MISTAKE! As we made our decent and then started to traverse round to find a way up Id really had enough and my poor husband had to put up with my frustration and grumpiness. We turned around and found the best way back, down scree and rocks rocks rocks. 

Finally down although I didn't feel like I'd had a good energetic, heart pounding run, I kept going and spent time out with my boys, and as I am reminded time and time again by my patient husband...good mental training. And Kibo had a brilliant day out :) 
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment